The first thing to do if you have a problem with electrical work is to discuss it with the electrical worker or company who did the job. If you can't come to a resolution you're happy with, you have the option of laying a formal complaint. This page explains the grounds on which you can make a formal complaint, how to make a complaint and the process for assessing and resolving complaints.

If you're worried about the safety of any electrical work contact the Electrical Workers Registration Board

PO Box 10 156
Freephone: 0800 66 1000
Fax: 04 473 2395

Who you can complain about

You can lodge a complaint about anyone registered or authorised by the Board to carry out electrical work for the public. You can complain about an individual, or... Read more about Who you can complain about

Make a complaint

You can make a complaint about what a registered or authorised worker did when they carried out electrical work (or gave instructions for the work to be carried... Read more about Make a complaint

If you have had a complaint made against you

If you are a registered electrical worker and someone complains about your conduct or work, you will be notified in writing of the complaint, and given an opportunity... Read more about If you have had a complaint made against you

Results of disciplinary hearings

Summary of recent disciplinary hearings considered by the Board. Read more about Results of disciplinary hearings

Results of prosecutions

Summary of recent prosecutions taken by the Board. Read more about Results of prosecutions


How long does the complaints process take? Can I complain about overcharging? Read more about FAQs